South Carolina surges to beat Richmond 76-58Dec 17, 2009 - 2:02 AM By PETE IACOBELLI AP Sports Writer
COLUMBIA, S.C.(AP) -- Devan Downey scored 18 points and South Carolina used a late 24-6 run to beat Richmond 76-58 on Wednesday night.
The Spiders (7-3) tied the game at 52 on Dan Geriot's basket with 8:16 remaining. That's when the Gamecocks (7-2) took control.
Downey had two 3-pointers and Ramon Galloway added five points during the surge as South Carolina won for the third time in its past four games.
Richmond of the Atlantic 10 Conference had come in with victories over Mississippi State and Missouri this season and held a 32-24 halftime lead at the Colonial Life Arena.
But the Spiders could not withstand the Gamecocks and Downey, who scored 13 of his points in the second half.
Sam Muldrow had 13 points and Johndre Jefferson added 12 for the Gamecocks.
Justin Harper was Richmond's leading scorer with 15 points.
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- 2 South Carolina players arrested over BB gun shooting Mar 17
- 5 South Carolina players suspended before NIT game Mar 15
- South Carolina moving on from NCAA snub Mar 14
- Richmond reserve Wood to miss 2nd game with concussion Mar 10
- South Carolina looking to take next step at SEC Tournament Mar 8
- Passing fancy: Nancy Lieberman's son also an adept passer Feb 23
- Big Week: South Carolina could move to top of SEC standings Feb 9