Grambling State holds off Northwestern State 63-62Dec 17, 2009 - 4:36 AM NATCHITOCHES, La.(AP) -- Donald Qualls scored 25 points, including sinking a pair of free throws with 11 seconds left, to lead Grambling State in a 63-62 win over Northwestern State on Wednesday night.
With the score knotted at 59-all with 2 minutes left, Dominic Knight hit one of two free throws to put Northwestern State ahead with 1:41 left to play.
Neither team scored for more than a minute, until Kevin Loyd's layup put the Tigers (2-5) ahead 61-60 with 28 seconds remaining.
Damon Jones couldn't convert on a layup and then a jumper to put the Demons (4-5) back ahead, and Knight's late foul put Qualls on the line to seal the win for the Tigers. Jones dropped in a layup with 3 seconds left to pull the Demons within the final margin.
Loyd finished with 12 points for the Tigers, who snapped a four-game losing skid.
Will Pratt paced the Demons with 15 points.
- NCAA BB
NORTHWESTERN ST 62 FINAL
Dec 16 11:04 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTHWESTERN ST 31 HALFTIME
Dec 16 9:45 PM
- TCU thumps Grambling State Dec 23
- Washington routs Grambling State Dec 18
- Tigers face tall task in clash with 16th-ranked Huskies Dec 17
- Oklahoma dominates Northwestern State Nov 23
- Sooners return to action, hoping to exercise Demons Nov 23
- Baylor outlasts Northwestern State in OT Dec 19
- No. 12 Baylor battles Northwestern State Dec 18
- Memphis makes short work of Northwestern State Dec 7
- Demons seek upset of 16th-ranked Tigers Dec 7
- Marquette beats Grambling State 114-71 Nov 13
- No. 17 Marquette entertains Grambling State Nov 12
- Florida powers past Northwestern State Mar 23