Vanderbilt defeats Tennessee State 84-71Dec 19, 2009 - 11:24 PM NASHVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Jeffery Taylor scored 20 points to lead Vanderbilt to an 84-71 victory over Tennessee State on Saturday.
The Commodores (7-3) dominated in the paint, outscoring Tennessee State 58-18. They shot 79.2 percent from the field (19-of-24) in the second half to finish at 67.9 percent (36-of-53).
Vanderbilt ended the first half on a 20-7 run when A.J. Ogilvy tipped in John Jenkins' missed 3-pointer as time expired to give the Commodores a 43-25 advantage.
Though Vanderbilt committed 21 turnovers, Tennessee State (3-9) trailed by as many as 24 points and never got closer than 13 in the second half.
Jenkins scored 12 points, Ogilvy had 11 and Festus Ezeli added 10. Jermaine Beal had seven assists for the Commodores, who snapped a two-game losing streak.
Jacquan Nobles and Josh Sain each had 14, Robert Covington added 13 and Lonnie Funderburke scored 12 for Tennessee State.
- New Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew announces his staff Apr 26
- Vanderbilt junior center Damian Jones entering NBA Draft Apr 14
- Bryce Drew wants to be 1st to take Vanderbilt to Final 4 Apr 6
- Vandy sophomore guard Wade Baldwin IV entering NBA draft Apr 5
- Vanderbilt using Fogler, not search firm to find new coach Mar 28
- Stallings gone, Vanderbilt to start search for new coach Mar 27
- After 17 seasons, Stallings' future at Vanderbilt in doubt Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Vandy fined $100,000 for storming court after Kentucky game Feb 29
- Big swing: Stumbling Vanderbilt revives NCAA tourney hopes Feb 25
- Wofford wallops ETSU 87-73 as Collins scores 24 Jan 28
- No. 21 Vanderbilt blows 16-point lead, loses 72-67 to Dayton Dec 10