Hurricanes beat Florida Atlantic 87-69Dec 20, 2009 - 12:05 AM By STEVEN WINE AP Sports Writer
SUNRISE, Fla.(AP) -- James Dews scored 15 points and the Miami Hurricanes had a big rebounding advantage to beat Florida Atlantic 87-69 on Saturday in the first game of the Orange Bowl Basketball Classic.
Dews scored all of his points in the first half, when Miami built a 43-23 lead. Dwayne Collins had 17 points and 14 rebounds for the Hurricanes, who enjoyed a 55-31 edge on the boards.
Miami had 24 offensive rebounds and shot 8-for-16 from 3-point range.
The Hurricanes improved to 11-1, with their lone loss a one-point defeat at Boston College on Dec. 6. They won for the 19th time in 20 games against the Owls.
Raymond Taylor had 23 points and seven assists for Florida Atlantic, which fell to 5-5. The Owls ran off 10 consecutive points early in the second half and closed the margin to 45-35 but could get no closer.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
FLORIDA ATLANTIC 23 46 69
MIAMI (FL) 43 44 87 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: FLORIDA ATLANTIC - RAYMOND TAYLOR 23, SHAVAR RICHARDSON 14,
GREG GANTT 11
MIAMI (FL) - DWAYNE COLLINS 17, JAMES DEWS 15,
DURAND SCOTT 13
Dec 19 6:12 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
FLORIDA ATLANTIC 23 23
MIAMI (FL) 43 43 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
FLORIDA ATLANTIC - RAYMOND TAYLOR 9, GREG GANTT 4, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 3
MIAMI (FL) - JAMES DEWS 13, ADRIAN THOMAS 7, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 6
Dec 19 4:58 PM
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Fast-paced game expected in Miami, Buffalo matchup Mar 16
- Larranaga hopes Miami can recapture George Mason's magic Mar 8
- Larranaga optimistic No. 7 Hurricanes will finish strong Feb 29
- Miami's Newton suspended 3 games for violating team rules Feb 27
- No. 11 Hurricanes to face 4 ranked teams in 12 days Feb 18
- 7-foot Tonye Jekiri a big reason for Hurricanes' success Feb 11