Montana State rallies late for 76-72 victoryDec 22, 2009 - 5:59 AM SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif.(AP) -- Marquis Navarre scored 18 points, Branden Johnson added 16 and Montana State rallied in the final minutes to defeat Cal Poly 76-72 Monday night.
After Lorenzo Keeler's jumper put the Mustangs ahead 72-69 with 3 minutes remaining, the Bobcats (7-4) responded with a 7-0 run that gave them their first lead and third straight victory. Bobby Howard's jumper put Montana State up 73-72 with 1:46 to play, and Erik Rush hit three free throws to close the scoring.
Will Donahue led Cal Poly (3-7) with 19 points and 13 rebounds, his fifth double-double of the season.
The Mustangs led by as many as nine and held a 35-33 advantage at halftime after the Bobcats closed the half on a 10-5 run.
Montana State's rally was fueled by 57.7 percent shooting in the second half.
- No. 8 Gonzaga tops Cal Poly Dec 21
- Bulldogs take on Mustangs in Battle in Seattle Dec 20
- Kentucky crushes Montana St. Nov 23
- Top-ranked Kentucky continues run against Montana State Nov 23
- Shockers crush Cal Poly, move to 35-0 Mar 22
- Shockers tip off tourney run against Mustangs Mar 21
- Cal Poly shuts down Texas Southern to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 19
- Mustangs and Tigers duke it out for spot in field of 64 Mar 19
- Cal Poly clinches Big West, first NCAA berth Mar 16
- Big West championship game pits Mustangs against Matadors Mar 15
- Oregon routs Cal Poly Dec 2
- Cal Poly seeks upset of No. 14 Oregon Dec 1