Vanderbilt routs Mercer 99-59Dec 22, 2009 - 3:32 AM NASHVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Freshman reserve John Jenkins scored a career-high 17 points and Vanderbilt routed Mercer 99-59 on Monday night.
Thirteen players scored for the Commodores (8-3), who allowed just 25 points in the first half for the second straight game.
An 18-2 run early in the first half gave Vanderbilt a 29-9 lead with 9:43 left in the half. The Commodores made seven straight shots during the five-minute stretch, which was fueled by six different scorers. It also didn't hurt that Mercer (4-6) opened the game shooting 2-for-13 from the field.
Jermaine Beal scored 15 points, Brad Tinsley added a season-high 14, Jeffery Taylor had 13 and A.J. Ogilvy had 11 for Vanderbilt.
Brandon Moore had 14, and Jeff Smith and James Florence each scored 10 for Mercer. For Florence, it was the 31st straight game with at least 10 points - currently tied for the second longest streak in the nation.
- New Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew announces his staff Apr 26
- Vanderbilt junior center Damian Jones entering NBA Draft Apr 14
- Bryce Drew wants to be 1st to take Vanderbilt to Final 4 Apr 6
- Vandy sophomore guard Wade Baldwin IV entering NBA draft Apr 5
- Vanderbilt using Fogler, not search firm to find new coach Mar 28
- Stallings gone, Vanderbilt to start search for new coach Mar 27
- After 17 seasons, Stallings' future at Vanderbilt in doubt Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Vandy fined $100,000 for storming court after Kentucky game Feb 29
- Big swing: Stumbling Vanderbilt revives NCAA tourney hopes Feb 25
- No. 21 Vanderbilt blows 16-point lead, loses 72-67 to Dayton Dec 10
- Vanderbilt junior Luke Kornet out 4-6 weeks with torn MCL Dec 9