Southern Mississippi tops New Orleans 78-58Dec 22, 2009 - 3:50 AM GULFPORT, Miss.(AP) -- Josimar Ayarza scored 16 points to lead four Southern Mississippi players in double figures in a 78-58 win over New Orleans on Monday night.
Gary Flowers scored 11 points and blocked seven shots for the Golden Eagles (8-1), who are off to their best start since an 8-1 beginning to the 2006 season.
Angelo Johnson added 15 points and Maurice Bolden had 13 for Southern Miss in the South Mississippi Christmas Classic.
The Privateers (5-6) shot just 29.6 percent from the field in the first half (8 of 27) and trailed 33-25 at halftime.
The Golden Eagles edged New Orleans 39-37 in rebounds and didn't trail in the second half.
New Orleans was led by Charles Carmouche with 17 points. The Privateers were just 3 of 21 from 3-point range and trailed by as many as 23 points in the second half.
North Florida defeated Canisius 65-61 in the early game.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NEW ORLEANS 25 33 58
SOUTHERN MISS 33 45 78 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: NEW ORLEANS - CHARLES CARMOUCHE 17, CARL BLAIR 9,
DEVIN MCDONALD 9
SOUTHERN MISS - JOSIMAR AYARZA 16, ANGELO JOHNSON 15,
MAURICE BOLDEN 13
Dec 21 10:04 PM
- NCAA BB
NEW ORLEANS 25
SOUTHERN MISS 33 HALFTIME
Dec 21 8:57 PM
- Former So. Miss coach Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause Apr 8
- Southern Miss self-imposes postseason ban Jan 20
- NCAA reviewing Southern Miss men's hoops Nov 6
- Southern Miss names Sadler men's hoops coach May 1
- Appling leads Spartans to rout of New Orleans Dec 28
- New Orleans hits road to challenge No. 5 Michigan State Dec 28
- No. 9 Louisville stifles Southern Miss en route to win Nov 29
- Cardinals set sights on red-hot Golden Eagles Nov 29
- Memphis outlasts Southern Miss for 3rd straight C-USA crown Mar 16
- C-USA crown on line in clash between Southern Miss and Memphis Mar 16
- No. 21 Memphis rolls past Southern Miss Feb 23
- Tigers put C-USA perfection on the line against Golden Eagles Feb 23