Southern Utah tops UC Riverside 76-65Dec 22, 2009 - 5:07 AM CEDAR CITY, Utah(AP) -- Ryan Brimley scored 26 points, including four 3-pointers, to lead Southern Utah past California-Riverside 76-65 Monday night.
Davis Baker added 16 points, including four 3-pointers, for the Thunderbirds (4-8). Matt Massey had 10 points.
Kyle Austin had 21 points and 14 rebounds to lead UC Riverside (6-5), which outrebounded Southern Utah 39-33.
The Highlanders outscored Southern Utah in the paint 34-16 but couldn't overcome the Thunderbirds' strength from behind the 3-point line, where they hit 10 of 20 shots. Along with the eight 3s between Brimley and Baker, Drew Allen hit two. UC Riverside hit 5 of 19 from 3-point range.
The Highlanders also struggled from the free-throw line, hitting just 12 of 27 (44.4 percent), while Southern Utah made 22 of 28 (78.6 percent).
- Saint Mary's rolls over Southern Utah 92-36 Dec 17
- Highlanders and Aztecs mix it up in non-conference action Dec 22
- No. 25 Utah hammers UC Riverside Nov 21
- Utes seek turnaround against visiting Highlanders Nov 21
- SDSU routs Southern Utah Dec 19
- Thunderbirds come calling on 24th-ranked Aztecs Dec 18
- No. 21 Gonzaga crushes Southern Utah Nov 10
- No. 21 Gonzaga opens season at home versus Southern Utah Nov 9
- UNLV cruises past Southern Utah Dec 19
- Long Beach State squeezes past UC Riverside 76-74 Mar 6
- UC Davis runs away from UC Riverside 66-43 Feb 28
- Baker hits 31 in finale, Southern Utah wins 70-67 Feb 28