Utah State slips past Morehead State 79-72Dec 22, 2009 - 5:25 AM LOGAN, Utah(AP) -- Nate Bendall and Tai Wesley each scored 18 points to lead Utah State past Morehead State 79-72 Monday night.
Tyler Newbold also scored 15 for the Aggies (7-4). The win came in the opening round of the three-day Basketball Travelers Invitational, hosted by Utah State.
Morehead State (4-5) was led by Steve Peterson, who scored a career-high 16 points. Kenneth Faried added 14, and Terrance Hill and Demonte Harper each had 12.
After the Aggies extended to a 52-37 lead to open the second half, the Eagles went on a 14-4 run to bring the score to 56-51 with less than nine minutes to play.
Morehead State shot 20-of-30 from the field and 3-of-6 from the 3-point line in the second half. They eventually would close to 75-72 on a short jumper by Faried with 17 seconds to play.
But Utah State dropped in 4-of-4 free-throw attempts in the closing seconds.
- NCAA BB
MOREHEAD ST 72
UTAH ST 79 FINAL
Dec 22 12:00 AM
- NCAA BB
MOREHEAD ST 24
UTAH ST 32 HALFTIME
Dec 21 10:50 PM
- Utah State's Jalen Moore to submit name for NBA draft Mar 25
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 82-71 Feb 27
- Morehead State routs NAIA St. Catharine 105-66 Feb 16
- Utah State downs Union (Tenn.) 73-49 Nov 20
- Racers rally to beat Morehead State in OVC semis Mar 7
- Eagles challenge Racers in OVC semifinals Mar 6
- Utah State coach Stew Morrill to retire at season's end Jan 9
- Offense carries Buckeyes past Morehead State Dec 13
- Eagles and Buckeyes square off in non-conference action Dec 13
- San Diego State routs Utah State in MWC quarters Mar 13
- Aztecs and Aggies square off in MWC quarterfinals Mar 13
- New Mexico pulls away from Utah State Feb 26