Pitt routs Ohio 74-49 behind early 20-3 surgeDec 23, 2009 - 2:11 AM By ALAN ROBINSON AP Sports Writer
PITTSBURGH(AP) -- Ashton Gibbs scored 15 points and Pittsburgh jumped out to a 17-point lead in the first 8 1/2 minutes before easing to a 74-49 victory over Ohio on Tuesday, the Panthers' final game before starting Big East play.
Pittsburgh (10-2) led 4-3 with 90 seconds gone before going on a 16-0 run over the next seven minutes, stretching its lead to 20-3. Ohio (7-4) had won three in a row, only to miss 14 of its first 15 shots.
The Bobcats tried mounting a comeback, outscoring Pitt 19-10 to get to within 30-22, but the Panthers scored eight of the final 10 points to close the half. The Panthers held leads in the 20-point range throughout the second half.
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27
- Struggling Pittsburgh searching for consistency Feb 19
- Young, Jeter lead Pitt past St. Joseph's (Ind), 84-43 Nov 17
- Buffalo rolls over Div. III Pitt-Bradford 109-49 Nov 14
- Pitt faces stiff test in opener against No. 9 Gonzaga Nov 12
- Pittsburgh Preview Capsule Oct 26
- Pitt Panthers looking to get back to basics Oct 26