IPFW rallies in final second for 75-72 victoryDec 23, 2009 - 2:59 AM FORT WAYNE, Ind.(AP) -- Deilvez Yearby finished with 23 points and 10 rebounds and Zach Plackemeier scored four of his 19 points in the final 26 seconds to lift IPFW to a 75-72 victory over Valparaiso on Tuesday night.
The Mastodons (4-6) trailed for much the second half and by as many as 11. Down 71-63 with 4:11 remaining, IPFW outscored the Crusaders 12-1 the rest of the way and finally took the lead, 73-72, on a jumper by Plackemeier with 26 second remaining. Plackemeier then added two free throws to cap the comeback.
Brandon Wood scored 23 points and Cory Johnson added 22 for Valparaiso (5-7).
The first half featured nine lead changes and four ties, and IPFW went into halftime up 32-30.
The Mastodons were outshot 50 percent-40.4 percent but made up for it at the free-throw line where they were 25 of 35. The Crusaders hit 17 of 27 free throws.
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- North Dakota State edges IPFW in Summit tourney, 69-68 Mar 7
- IPFW beats South Dakota 86-70 in Summit League quarterfinal Mar 5
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Maryland survives Valparaiso to advance Mar 20
- Terps open NCAA Tournament play against Crusaders Mar 20
- Valpo comes back to beat Green Bay in Horizon final Mar 10
- Crusaders clash with Phoenix for Horizon League crown Mar 10
- NDSU downs IPFW for Summit League crown Mar 12
- Mastodons challenge Bison in Summit League title game Mar 11
- Bryce Drew, Valpo agree on new 10-year deal Dec 18