Arizona nips North Carolina State 76-74Dec 24, 2009 - 5:53 AM TUCSON, Ariz.(AP) -- Nic Wise drove the length of the court for a layup with 1 second remaining, and Arizona defeated North Carolina State 76-74 on Wednesday night.
The Wildcats (6-5) blew an 8-point lead in the final 37 seconds as the Wolfpack made two 3-pointers and converted on a three-point play.
But after North Carolina State's Javier Gonzalez barreled into the lane to tie it at 74-74, Wise, who finished with 17 points, weaved through a sea of red jerseys and laid the ball in.
Wise's big play came two nights after he hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to defeat Lipscomb in overtime. He celebrated his latest heroics by leaping upon the press table and pointing to the exuberant McKale Center crowd.
Gonzalez scored 18 points, including 10 in the final 30 seconds, for the Wolfpack (8-3).
- NCAA BB
NC STATE 74
ARIZONA 76 FINAL
Dec 24 12:42 AM
- NCAA BB
NC STATE 23
ARIZONA 31 HALFTIME
Dec 23 11:22 PM
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State Mar 24
- NC State junior Anthony 'Cat' Barber to remain in NBA draft Mar 22
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Gottfried, Wolfpack focused on returning to NCAAs next year Mar 15