North Florida holds off Southern Miss 53-46Dec 24, 2009 - 4:11 AM GULFPORT, Miss.(AP) -- Brad Haugabrook scored 11 points and North Florida held off Southern Mississippi in the closing minutes to take a 53-46 victory on Wednesday night.
The Ospreys (4-7) won their third straight game, all coming in the South Mississippi Christmas Classic. They entered the tournament on a six-game losing streak, but defeated Canisius 65-61 on Monday and New Orleans 64-49 on Tuesday.
Southern Miss (8-3) shot 20.8 percent from the field (5-for-24) in the first half and North Florida led 24-13 at halftime.
Haugabrook hit a free throw to give North Florida a 48-41 lead with 1:25 left, but Gary Flowers hit a jumper and R.L. Horton nailed a 3-pointer to cut the advantage to 48-46 with 34 seconds left.
The Ospreys then scored the final five points.
Flowers led Southern Miss with 20 points and 12 rebounds, his second consecutive game with a double-double.
- NCAA BB
NORTH FLORIDA 53
SOUTHERN MISS 46 FINAL
Dec 23 10:10 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTH FLORIDA 24
SOUTHERN MISS 13 HALFTIME
Dec 23 8:49 PM
- Former So. Miss coach Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause Apr 8
- Robert Morris rallies past North Florida in First Four Mar 18
- Colonials and Ospreys clash in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Southern Miss self-imposes postseason ban Jan 20
- NCAA reviewing Southern Miss men's hoops Nov 6
- Southern Miss names Sadler men's hoops coach May 1
- No. 5 Michigan State cruises past North Florida Dec 17
- Weary Ospreys come calling on fifth-ranked Spartans Dec 17
- No. 9 Louisville stifles Southern Miss en route to win Nov 29
- No. 7 Ohio State crushes North Florida Nov 29
- Ospreys challenge undefeated Buckeyes Nov 29