George Washington holds off Holy Cross 70-68Dec 29, 2009 - 3:19 AM WORCESTER, Mass.(AP) -- Damian Hollis scored 14 of his 19 points in the second half as George Washington held off Holy Cross 70-68 on Monday night.
The Colonials (9-2) have won five of their last six games and are 5-0 on the road this season.
George Washington jumped out to a 20-4 lead and led 36-22 at halftime in the schools' first meeting since 1996.
The Crusaders (2-10) used a 10-2 to run to pull within 62-60 with 1:55 remaining. The Colonials pushed the lead to six with 44 seconds to go, but Holy Cross again whittled it down to two with 5 seconds left on Devin Brown's 3-pointer. After Tony Taylor missed two free throws for George Washington with 3 seconds remaining, Mike Cavataio missed a 3-pointer for Holy Cross at the buzzer.
The Crusaders were 9-for-18 from beyond the arc compared to George Washington's 4-for-20.
Brown scored 20 to lead Holy Cross, which has lost four straight.
- NCAA BB
GEO WASHINGTON 70
HOLY CROSS 68 FINAL
Dec 28 9:10 PM
- NCAA BB
GEO WASHINGTON 36
HOLY CROSS 22 HALFTIME
Dec 28 8:00 PM
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Cavanaugh scores 18; No. 21 GW beats St Peter's 87 Dec 19
- Holy Carmody! Crusaders name their coach Mar 19
- Holy Cross fires Brown after 5 seasons Mar 6
- VCU gets back on track at George Washington Feb 15
- Colonials tangle with 20th-ranked Rams Feb 14
- VCU keeps rolling with rout of George Washington Jan 27
- Colonials come calling on 14th-ranked Rams Jan 27
- GW upends No. 11 Wichita State Dec 25
- Shockers clash with Colonials for Diamond Head Classic crown Dec 25
- No. 9 UVA cruises past GW Nov 22