Texas Southern 69, North Texas 71Dec 29, 2009 - 4:00 AM DENTON, Texas (AP) -- Jacob Holmen hit a 15-foot jumper with 3 seconds remaining to lift North Texas to a 71-69 victory over Texas Southern on Monday night.
Holmen finished with 12 points while Tristan Thompson had a game-high 21 for the Mean Green (8-4).
DeAndre Hall led the Tigers (4-8) with 20 points, and Travele Jones added 16.
Texas Southern tied the game twice in the final minute, but North Texas regained the lead after each occasion.
Both teams shot better than 50 percent - North Texas 51.1 percent (23 of 45) and Texas Southern 50.9 percent (28 of 55) - but the Mean Green hit 21 free throws compared to 14 for the Tigers.
With the win North Texas coach Johnny Jones tied Bill Blakely for second place all-time in school history with 134 victories.
- NCAA BB
TEXAS SOUTHERN 69
NORTH TEXAS 71 FINAL
Dec 28 10:01 PM
- NCAA BB
TEXAS SOUTHERN 30
NORTH TEXAS 35 HALFTIME
Dec 28 8:50 PM
- Arizona cruises by Texas Southern Mar 19
- Arizona starts tournament play against Texas Southern Mar 19
- Texas Southern rallies late, wins SWAC title Mar 14
- Tigers, Jaguars meet in SWAC title clash Mar 14
- Texas Southern stuns No. 25 Michigan State in OT Dec 20
- Weary Tigers visit 25th-ranked Spartans Dec 20
- Gonzaga crushes Texas Southern Dec 16
- Tigers face uphill climb in clash with Bulldogs Dec 15
- Qualls leads Arkansas over North Texas Nov 29
- Razorbacks hope to continue fast start against Mean Green Nov 28
- Cal Poly shuts down Texas Southern to advance in NCAA Tournament Mar 19
- Mustangs and Tigers duke it out for spot in field of 64 Mar 19