Free throws help UMKC beat SIU-Edwardsville 63-54Dec 29, 2009 - 4:31 AM EDWARDSVILLE, Ill.(AP) -- Jay Couisinard and Trey McKinney-Jones each scored 14 points to help UMKC defeat SIU-Edwardsville 63-54 Monday night.
The Kangaroos (7-5) fell behind 9-0 and 23-13 but rallied at the free-throw line. UMKC hit 27-of-35 free throws while the Cougars were just 6 of 11.
Aamir McCleary led SIU-Edwardsville (2-11) with 11 points.
The Kangaroos went on 14-2 run in the second half to take a 47-38 lead with 9:47 to play. LaTreze Mushatt scored five straight points during run, and UMKC led the rest of the way.
The Cougars twice closed the gap to three points but couldn't get any closer. UMKC was 6 for 6 from the free-throw line in the final minute.
SIU-Edwardsville took a 29-27 lead into halftime after Anthony Mitchell completed a three-point play with 42 seconds to go.
- NCAA BB
SIU EDWARDSVILL 54 FINAL
Dec 28 10:07 PM
- NCAA BB
SIU EDWARDSVILL 29 HALFTIME
Dec 28 8:50 PM
- SIU-Edwardsville hires Cal's Harris as coach Apr 3
- Forrester won't return as SIU-Edwardsville coach Mar 10
- No. 14 Iowa State coasts to win over UMKC Dec 10
- Kangaroos hoping to bounce past 14th-ranked Cyclones Dec 9
- No. 3 Louisville cruises past UMKC Dec 4
- No. 7 Louisville takes on UMKC Dec 4
- Iowa State routs UMKC Nov 25
- Cyclones set sights on Kangaroos Nov 25
- UMKC picks Louisville assistant Richardson Mar 19
- UMKC fires Brown Mar 12
- No. 25 Kansas State holds off UMKC Dec 29
- Wildcats set sights on Kangaroos Dec 29