Centenary holds off Louisiana-Lafayette 73-68Dec 29, 2009 - 3:50 AM LAFAYETTE, La.(AP) -- David Perez scored 22 points and Centenary hit 12 3-pointers in a 73-68 victory over Louisiana-Lafayette on Monday night.
The Gentlemen (5-7), who ended a five-game skid, were 9-for-15 from beyond the arc in the first half and 12-for-23 from long range for the game (52.2 percent), surpassing their average of 8.5 per game. The Ragin' Cajuns (4-8) shot just 2-for-18 (11.1 percent) from 3-point range.
Centenary never trailed and led by 16 with 18:52 to go. Louisiana-Lafayette used a 13-3 run, capped by a Willie Lago layup, to pull within 66-63 with 1:23 left, but could get no closer. Pedro Maciel's five points in the final 1:05 sealed the win for the Gentlemen.
The Ragin' Cajuns outrebounded Centenary 37-30 and held the Gentlemen to four steals, well below their average of 8.7.
Tyren Johnson scored 23 points to lead Louisiana-Lafayette, which has lost three straight.
- McDermott scores 30 to power Creighton past Louisiana Mar 21
- Cajuns and Bluejays duke it out in West Region action Mar 21
- Louisiana wins Sun Belt title over Georgia State Mar 16
- Georgia State and Louisiana meet for Sun Belt title Mar 16
- Louisville's offense erupts in rout of Louisiana Dec 7
- Seventh-ranked Cardinals continue run with Cajuns Dec 7
- Chery leads Baylor past Louisiana Nov 17
- Cajuns come calling on 23rd-ranked Bears Nov 17
- Michigan State hangs on against Louisiana Nov 25
- Spartans set sights on Ragin' Cajuns Nov 25
- Lousiana-Lafayette hires Marlin as new coach Mar 29
- Lee let go as Louisiana-Lafayette hoops coach Mar 9