Nevada defeats Portland, 78-69Dec 29, 2009 - 5:34 AM RENO, Nev.(AP) -- Luke Babbitt scored 22 points as Nevada held off Portland 78-69 Monday night.
Brandon Fields added 17 points and Armon Johnson scored 16 as the Wolf Pack (8-5) improved to 7-0 at home this season.
Robin Smeulders scored 22 points to lead the Pilots (7-5).
Joey Shaw, who scored 14 points, and Babbitt hit back-to-back 3-pointers as Nevada built a 52-41 lead with 14 minutes to play. Johnson's three-point play made it a 71-60 game with 1:56 to play.
Nevada scored the last 11 points of the first half to take a 36-31 lead at the intermission. Babbitt and Fields each hit 3-pointers to key the 11-0 run and Dario Hunt scored on a tip-in just before the buzzer.
Portland went on runs of 10-0 and 8-0 to take a 31-25 lead with five minutes to go in the first half.
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- Terry Porter introduced as new Portland Pilots coach Apr 5
- Portland Pilots hire Terry Porter as basketball coach Apr 2
- West leaves Nevada hoops; ex-star cites personal reasons Dec 15
- Wintering sparks Portland past Abilene Christian, 87-57 Nov 23
- Nevada picks Eric Musselman as men's coach Mar 25
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Portland Jan 30
- Pilots hope to fly past third-ranked Bulldogs Jan 29
- Gonzaga fends off Portland Jan 3
- Portland hosts No. 7 Gonzaga in WCC showdown Jan 3