Stetson beats Florida Gulf Coast 72-64Dec 30, 2009 - 3:37 AM DELAND, Fla.(AP) -- A.J. Smith scored 21 points to lead Stetson to a 72-64 win over Florida Gulf Coast on Tuesday night.
Stetson's senior guard scored 10 points in the first 7 minutes of the second half. Tyshawn Patterson and Brandon Williams added 13 and 12 points as Stetson (3-7, 1-1 Atlantic Sun Conference) snapped a four-game losing streak.
Stetson didn't take its first lead until a runner by Patterson made it 22-21 with 6:44 left in the first half. A dunk by Kyle Marks gave the lead back to Florida Gulf Coast at 23-22, but that was the last time the Eagles led.
Brandon Williams had a steal and passed to Patterson, who made a layup at the 4:52 mark for a 24-23 edge. That was the start of a 10-2 Stetson run.
Derrick O'Neal led Florida Gulf Coast (4-7, 1-1) with 14 points and Reed Baker added 11.
- FGCU hoops coach Dooley gets 2-year extension through 2020 May 7
- Tar Heels aim to stay on defensive vs. Eagles in NCAAs Mar 16
- Stetson makes intriguing run to A-Sun final against FGCU Mar 5
- Stetson routs Albany State (Ga) 95-69 Dec 16
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Irish beat up Stetson Nov 10
- No. 21 Notre Dame plays host to Stetson Nov 10
- Alexander leaves Stetson to take Lipscomb job May 18
- Dooley tabbed as FGCU men's basketball coach Apr 17
- Cinderella's run ends; Gators oust FGCU Mar 30
- Surprising Eagles set sights on Gators in Sweet 16 Mar 28