McNally leads Maine over Columbia 65-59Dec 31, 2009 - 2:46 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Sean McNally had 16 points, seven rebounds and three steals and Maine rallied to defeat Columbia 65-59 on Wednesday night.
The Black Bears (6-5), who shot 6-for-18 from the floor in the first half, trailed 33-24 at halftime.
Maine then opened the second half with a 12-2 run to pull ahead 36-35 with 16:04 left.
The Lions (5-6) hit five straight free throws to take a 40-38 lead, but Maine answered with a Murphy Burnatowski 3-pointer with 13:17 left and never trailed again. Columbia was 5-for-23 from the field in the second half.
With the Black Bears up 61-54, Niko Scott scored five straight points to cut the margin to 61-59 with 42 seconds left. Maine made 4 of 6 free throws to seal the win.
Terrance Mitchell added 14 points for Maine.
Scott scored 16 points to lead Columbia, which was 5-for-9 from long range in the first half, but only 1-for-6 in the second.
- Columbia hires Jim Engles as new basketball coach Apr 5
- Lo's 8 3s lead Columbia to 78-71 win over Robert Morris Dec 14
- No. 1 Kentucky rallies to beat Columbia Dec 10
- No. 1 Kentucky plays host to Columbia Dec 10
- Maine names Walsh men's basketball coach May 7
- No. 12 Connecticut crushes Maine Dec 6
- Black Bears come calling on 12th-ranked Huskies Dec 6
- No. 2 Michigan State holds off Columbia Nov 15
- Lions hit road seeking upset of second-ranked Spartans Nov 15
- No. 4 Uconn uses strong second half to defeat Maine Nov 17
- No.4 UConn plays host to Maine Nov 17
- Defending champion UConn opens season with win Nov 12