Sargent, South Dakota State tip Oral Roberts 72-70Jan 1, 2010 - 4:02 AM BROOKINGS, S.D.(AP) -- Clint Sargent missed only one shot, scoring 19 points as South Dakota State edged Oral Roberts 72-70 on Thursday night.
Sargent sank 6 of 7 shots, including all 3 3-pointers, and was 4-for-4 from the line to lead the Jackrabbits (6-8, 2-1 Summit League). Nate Wolters added 14 points and Garrett Callahan 12, and Kai Williams pulled down a game-high 10 rebounds.
Warren Niles led the Golden Eagles (7-7, 2-1) with 14 points. Dominique Morrison had 13 and Michael Craion 12.
The Jackrabbits held a 47-29 rebounding advantage.
Neither team led by more than six points all night. Wolters converted a three-point play with 1:35 left to break a 64-64 tie, then sank two foul shots to put the Jackrabbits ahead 69-66 with 23 seconds to go.
Morrison cut it to 71-70 with two free throws, but Callahan's free throw gave South Dakota State its final margin.
- NCAA BB
ORAL ROBERTS 70
SO DAKOTA ST 72 FINAL
Dec 31 9:54 PM
- NCAA BB
ORAL ROBERTS 27
SO DAKOTA ST 27 HALFTIME
Dec 31 8:45 PM
- South Dakota St hires Otzelberger as men's basketball coach Apr 14
- Jackrabbits seek 1st NCAA Tournament win Mar 17
- South Dakota State men win Summit championship, 67-59 Mar 9
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- S. Dakota St. rallies to beat ORU in Summit League tourney Mar 6
- South Dakota State beats D-II Wayne State 80-53 Dec 2
- Bittle scores 23, South Dakota St. beats Chadron St., 87-52 Nov 14
- Bison edge Jackrabbits in Summit final thriller Mar 10
- Bison battle Jackrabbits in Summit League finale Mar 10
- No. 23 Northern Iowa tops South Dakota St. Dec 28
- Jackrabbits come calling on 23rd-ranked Panthers Dec 28
- No. 14 Utah tops South Dakota State Dec 24