Dragovic, UCLA hold off Arizona State 72-70Jan 1, 2010 - 12:23 AM By BETH HARRIS AP Sports Writer
LOS ANGELES(AP) -- Nikola Dragovic tied career highs with six 3-pointers and 23 points and UCLA held on after blowing nearly all of a 16-point lead to beat Arizona State 72-70 Thursday in the teams' Pac-10 opener.
The Bruins (6-7) hit a season-high 11 3-pointers in winning for the fourth time in five games after a five-game losing streak had left them with the worst non-conference record among league teams.
Rihards Kuksiks scored 15 points for the Sun Devils (10-4). Ty Abbott and Derek Glasser added 12 points each. Glasser scored seven points in the final 1:03.
Malcolm Lee added 16 points, Michael Roll 12, and Reeves Nelson and Jerime Anderson 10 each for the Bruins.
UCLA built its largest lead of 16 points early in the second half before getting outscored 28-13. Abbott had eight points and Demetrius Walker seven in the spurt that left the Sun Devils trailing 60-59.
- NCAA BB
ARIZONA ST 70
UCLA 72 FINAL
Dec 31 6:38 PM
- NCAA BB
ARIZONA ST 31
UCLA 42 HALFTIME
Dec 31 5:25 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Arizona State's Savon Goodman leaves the program Mar 24
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Arizona State's Spight leaves program, will transfer Feb 23
- Arizona State looking forward to challenge in Lexington Dec 10
- Arizona State rolls over Kennesaw State 91-53 Nov 18
- Arizona State Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Hurley adds big boost of excitement at Arizona State Oct 28
- UCLA has deep, balanced team in Steve Alford's 3rd season Oct 28
- UCLA Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Hurley trying to make the pieces fit at Arizona State Sep 30