Middle Tennessee holds off New Orleans 63-58Jan 1, 2010 - 12:40 AM NEW ORLEANS(AP) -- Desmond Yates scored 18 points and Middle Tennessee led the entire second half to defeat New Orleans 63-58 on Thursday.
The Blue Raiders (6-6, 1-0 Sun Belt Conference) improved to 1-4 on the road and sent the Privateers (5-9, 0-3) to their school-record seventh consecutive defeat.
New Orleans cut Middle Tennessee's lead to 59-57 on Johann Mpondo's layup with 2:47 left and to 59-58 on Ejike Hart's free throw with 57 seconds remaining. Yates retaliated with a jumper for a 61-58 advantage and the Privateers didn't score again.
New Orleans led 26-19 with 6:21 left in the first half before the Blue Raiders went on an 18-2 run for a 37-28 halftime advantage.
J.T. Sulton scored 12 points, James Gallman had 11 and James Washington finished with 10 points for Middle Tennessee.
Mpondo scored 15 and Carl Blair and Billy Humphrey scored 14 points each for New Orleans.
- NCAA BB
MIDDLE TENN 63
NEW ORLEANS 58 FINAL
Dec 31 6:59 PM
- NCAA BB
MIDDLE TENN 37
NEW ORLEANS 28 HALFTIME
Dec 31 5:44 PM
- Middle Tennessee State sets sights on upset of Syracuse Mar 19
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Potts out indefinitely with concussion for Middle Tennessee Feb 26
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14
- Bluejays and Blue Raiders meet in Emerald Coast Classic Nov 29
- Appling leads Spartans to rout of New Orleans Dec 28
- New Orleans hits road to challenge No. 5 Michigan State Dec 28
- No. 16 Florida races past Middle Tennessee Nov 22
- Blue Raiders put perfect mark on line against 16th-ranked Gators Nov 21
- Hail to the Gaels; Saint Mary's tops MTSU to gain Memphis matchup Mar 20
- Gaels, Blue Raiders square off in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 19