Delaware beats Drexel 62-58Jan 2, 2010 - 10:05 PM NEWARK, Del.(AP) -- Alphonso Dawson scored 15 points and Jawan Carter added 14 to lead Delaware to a 62-58 win over Drexel on Saturday.
Hakim McCullar and Kelvin McNeil each finished with 11 points for the Blue Hens (5-8, 1-1 Colonial Athletic Association).
Despite trailing by as many as 13 points in the first half, Delaware took charge in the second half. McNeil's free throw with 8:26 left in the game put Delaware ahead 51-37 - its largest lead of the game.
The Dragons (6-8, 1-1) attempted to rally, tying the game at 56-56 on Gerald Colds' two free throws with 1:39 left to play. But Drexel was unable to take the lead as the Blue Hens pulled ahead for good on Dawson's jumper with 1:17 remaining.
Jamie Harris led the Dragons with 18 points.
- NCAA BB
DELAWARE 62 FINAL
Jan 2 4:03 PM
- NCAA BB
DELAWARE 26 HALFTIME
Jan 2 2:57 PM
- Drexel hires Army's Zach Spiker as basketball coach. Mar 25
- Delaware fires men's basketball coach Monte Ross Mar 18
- Drexel fires coach Bruiser Flint after 15 seasons Mar 7
- Late free throw helps Delaware top Fairleigh Dickinson 73-72 Nov 24
- Lee transfers to Louisville Apr 23
- Villanova routs Delaware Nov 30
- Undefeated Wildcats entertain hapless Blue Hens Nov 30
- Delaware's Threatt kicked off team Jun 10
- Payne stars as Michigan State dumps Delaware in NCAA opener Mar 20
- Spartans begin tournament against Blue Hens Mar 20
- Delaware edges William & Mary for CAA title Mar 11
- Tribe and Hens square off in CAA title tilt Mar 10