Holy Cross knocks off Central Conn. State 70-53Jan 3, 2010 - 12:56 AM UNCASVILLE, Conn.(AP) -- Devin Brown scored 19 points as Holy Cross snapped a five-game losing streak with a 70-53 victory over Central Connecticut State on Saturday.
R.J. Evans added 16 points and 10 rebounds for the Crusaders (3-11), who shot 60.9 percent from the field (14-for-23) in the second half and outrebounded the Blue Devils 42-33.
Central Connecticut State (4-7) never led in the game played at the Mohegan Sun Arena.
The Crusaders led 21-12 on Andrew Keister's layup with 11:28 left in the first half and extended the margin to 25-14 on Brown's four-point play with 8:15 remaining. Andrew Beinert's 3-pointer gave Holy Cross a 33-18 advantage with 4:17 to play.
Mike Cavataio scored 13 points and Beinert finished with 12 for Holy Cross.
David Simmons had 13 points and 11 rebounds, Shemik Thompson scored 11 and Vince Rosario added 10 points for Central Connecticut State.
- NCAA BB
HOLY CROSS 70
CENTRAL CONN 53 FINAL
Jan 2 6:42 PM
- NCAA BB
HOLY CROSS 35
CENTRAL CONN 24 HALFTIME
Jan 2 5:49 PM
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Dickenman retires after 20 years at Central Connecticut Feb 19
- CCSU holds off late charge by Robert Morris to win, 75-70 Feb 4
- Robert Morris uses late first-half run, beats CCSU 59-45 Jan 21
- Carter, Robinson carry BC past Central Conn. 82-57 Nov 19
- Holy Carmody! Crusaders name their coach Mar 19
- Holy Cross fires Brown after 5 seasons Mar 6
- Holy Cross shocks Harvard Nov 16
- Beantown brawl pits Crimson against Crusaders Nov 16
- Holy Cross visits Brown to open CIT Mar 17