New Mexico State wins 55-52 over Utah StateJan 3, 2010 - 6:32 AM LAS CRUCES, N.M.(AP) -- Jonathan Gibson hit a jumper with 16.2 seconds remaining to secure a 55-52 New Mexico State victory over Utah State to open Western Athletic Conference play for both teams on Saturday.
NMSU (8-6, 1-0) led by 11 with 6:53 to play but didn't score again until Gibson's jumper. He finished with a game-high 19 points.
Utah State (10-5, 0-1) closed to 53-52 with 46.9 seconds left on a Pooh Williams' 3-pointer from the left wing.
Utah State erased a three-point halftime deficit, 27-24, to take a brief one-point lead with 15:28 to play, but Gibson scored eight straight points, putting NMSU ahead for good with 15:11 to play. Gibson knocked down one of his three 3-pointers during a 14-6 NMSU flurry that opened a 53-42 advantage with 6:53 left.
Tai Wesley led Utah State with 14 points and nine rebounds and Tyler Newbold added 12 points.
- New Mexico State's Weir adds Henson as an Aggie adviser May 11
- Utah State's Jalen Moore to submit name for NBA draft Mar 25
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- New Mexico State pulls in OT, beats Robert Morris 81-71 Nov 25
- Utah State downs Union (Tenn.) 73-49 Nov 20
- Kansas gives Big 12 a lift with rout of New Mexico State Mar 20
- New Mexico State seeks upset of Kansas Mar 20
- New Mexico State cruises past Seattle to win WAC Mar 15
- Aggies go for fourth straight WAC title against Seattle Mar 14
- Utah State coach Stew Morrill to retire at season's end Jan 9
- Colorado State holds off upset-minded New Mexico State Dec 27
- Aggies entertain undefeated Rams Dec 27