Baker leads Florida Gulf Coast over Belmont 66-63Jan 3, 2010 - 1:22 AM NASHVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Reed Baker scored 14 points and Florida Gulf Coast held off Belmont 66-63 on Saturday.
The Eagles (5-7, 2-1 Atlantic Sun Conference) have won five of their last six games while the Bruins (7-6, 2-1), who lost to No. 1 Kansas 81-51 on Tuesday, extended their skid to four straight.
Florida Gulf Coast led by seven in the first half and 28-26 at halftime. The Eagles pushed the lead to 36-28 with 17:12 left, but Belmont used a 10-0 run, capped by a Drew Hanlen 3-pointer, to move ahead 38-36 with 14:19 left.
Florida Gulf Coast built another eight-point lead, which the Bruins cut to 57-54 with 3:50 remaining. Ian Clark's 3-pointer with 39 seconds to go made it 65-63, but Mick Hedgepeth missed two free throws with 3 seconds left that could have tied it. Kyle Marks hit one of two fouls shots with 1 second to go.
Clark and Jordan Campbell scored 15 points apiece for Belmont.
- NCAA BB
FLA GULF COAST 66
BELMONT 63 FINAL
Jan 2 7:28 PM
- NCAA BB
FLA GULF COAST 28
BELMONT 26 HALFTIME
Jan 2 6:16 PM
- FGCU hoops coach Dooley gets 2-year extension through 2020 May 7
- Tar Heels aim to stay on defensive vs. Eagles in NCAAs Mar 16
- Virginia staves off upset bid from Belmont Mar 20
- Belmont battles Virginia in East Regional melee Mar 20
- Belmont shocks Murray State to win OVC crown Mar 7
- Racers and Bruins battle for OVC crown Mar 7
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8
- Randle helps Kentucky fend off Belmont Dec 21
- Wildcats set sights on Bruins Dec 21