TCU pulls away early in 70-58 victory over RiceJan 3, 2010 - 3:29 AM FORT WORTH, Texas(AP) -- Kevin Butler scored 18 points and TCU pulled away from Rice early in a 70-58 victory Saturday night.
Nikola Cerina added 15 points, Zvonko Buljan 12 and Xavier Roberson 11 for the Horned Frogs (7-7). Butler and Cerina were a combined 14 of 16 from the field.
Arsalan Kazemi finished with 14 points for the Owls. He was their only player in double figures.
With the game tied 5-all, TCU scored eight straight points for a 13-5 advantage with 15:18 remaining in the first half. A 3-pointer by Edvinas Ruzgas pushed the Horned Frogs' lead to double digits, 20-9, with 12:47 left, and they led 37-28 at halftime.
TCU scored the first eight points of the second half, and Rice didn't get closer than 12 the rest of the way.
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Helping Dixon: LSU assistant David Patrick hired by TCU Apr 20
- Jamie Dixon introduced at TCU, big boost for his alma mater Mar 22
- Dixon leaving Pittsburgh to take over at TCU, his alma mater Mar 22
- Monmouth basketball coach King Rice has new 5-year contract Feb 26
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Evans leads Rice to 67-54 win over St. Thomas (Texas) Dec 17
- No. 9 Kansas squeaks past TCU Mar 12
- TCU faces tall task in Big 12 tourney tilt against Kansas Mar 12
- Morris, Niang power Iowa State past TCU Mar 8
- Cyclones battle Horned Frogs in regular-season finale Mar 7
- Sooners come back to beat TCU Feb 28