UC Irvine edges past UC Santa BarbaraJan 3, 2010 - 6:01 AM IRVINE, Calif.(AP) -- Eric Wise scored 21 points and Michael Hunter added 16 to lead UC Irvine past UC Santa Barbara 57-55 Saturday night.
Wise, who was 8 of 11 from the field, scored 17 of his points in the second half. Hunter hit 4 of 8 from 3-point range for the Anteaters (7-6, 1-0 Big West Conference). Hunter scored 13 of his points in the first half as UCI led 27-24 at the break.
Adam Folker grabbed a career-high 14 rebounds for the Anteaters.
Orlando Johnson led UC Santa Barbara (5-6, 0-1) with 19 points and eight rebounds. The Gauchos have lost six of their last seven games.
Patrick Rembert hit a pair of free throws with seven seconds remaining to give UC Irvine a 57-51 lead.
UCSB's Jordan Weiner hit one of three free throws with 2.5 seconds left to cut the deficit to 57-52, and after a UCI turnover, Roemer hit a three from the right corner as time expired.
- Louisville edges UC Irvine, avoids upset Mar 20
- Anteaters hope to sniff out victory against seasoned Cardinals Mar 20
- UC Irvine tops Hawaii to win Big West Mar 15
- Hawaii and Anteaters battle for Big West title Mar 14
- Arizona runs away from UC Irvine Nov 20
- No. 2 Arizona plays host to UC Irvine Nov 19
- Kansas handles challenge from UCSB Nov 15
- No. 5 Kansas lifts lid on season against UC Santa Barbara Nov 14
- Oregon thumps UC Irvine, moves to 10-0 Dec 18
- Anteaters face tall task in clash with undefeated Ducks Dec 17
- UCLA takes care of UC Santa Barbara Dec 4
- Gauchos and Bruins mix it up in Golden State fracas Dec 3