USC beats Arizona State 47-37 for 8th straight winJan 3, 2010 - 5:48 AM By BETH HARRIS AP Sports Writer
LOS ANGELES(AP) -- Marcus Johnson and Mike Gerrity scored 12 points each and Southern California defeated Arizona State 47-37 Saturday night for its eighth consecutive victory and first 2-0 start in the Pac-10 since 2001-02.
The Trojans (10-4) survived a tight defensive battle in which they made 15 field goals to just 11 for the Sun Devils (10-5, 0-2), who fell to 0-4 at Galen Center under fourth-year coach Herb Sendek.
Demetrius Walker scored 11 points and Jamelle McMillan 10 for Arizona State, which was held under 40 points for the first time since a 69-37 loss to Minnesota in the Maui Invitational on Nov. 27, 1991.
It was the fewest points ever under Sendek for the Sun Devils, whose previous low came in a 42-41 victory over California on March 3, 2007.
Arizona State trailed 23-20 on a basket by Rihards Kuksiks early in the second half, the closest the Sun Devils came.
- Southern California extends coach Andy Enfield's contract Mar 28
- Arizona State's Savon Goodman leaves the program Mar 24
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- USC chosen for first NCAA Tournament since 2011 Mar 13
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Arizona State's Spight leaves program, will transfer Feb 23
- Arizona State looking forward to challenge in Lexington Dec 10
- Arizona State rolls over Kennesaw State 91-53 Nov 18
- Arizona State Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Hurley adds big boost of excitement at Arizona State Oct 28
- Southern California looks to improved talent to find way up Oct 28