Western Michigan tips Sam Houston State, 74-73Jan 3, 2010 - 10:58 PM KALAMAZOO, Mich.(AP) -- David Kool scored 31 points, including a jumper with 4 seconds remaining, as Western Michigan defeated Sam Houston State 74-73 on Sunday.
The winning basket completed the Broncos' comeback from a 15-point deficit. Sam Houston State led 58-43 with 14:04 to play after a Gilberto Clavell dunk.
But the Broncos (7-5) later used a 12-2 run to get within a point at 67-66. Kool's three-point play with 2:03 to play gave Western Michigan its first lead since the first half at 69-68.
A Preston Brown layup gave Sam Houston State the lead again, but Kool completed another three-point play for a 72-70 Bronco lead. Clavell, who finished with 18 points, made three of four free-throw attempts in the final 90 seconds before Kool's winning shot.
Martelle McLemore finished with 12 points and 10 rebounds for Western Michigan. Corey Allmond had 22 points to lead the Bearkats (8-5).
- NCAA BB
SAM HOUSTON ST 73
WESTRN MICHIGAN 74 FINAL
Jan 3 4:07 PM
- NCAA BB
SAM HOUSTON ST 47
WESTRN MICHIGAN 35 HALFTIME
Jan 3 2:55 PM
- Western Michigan defeats Rochester (Mich) 85-73 Nov 23
- Sam Houston State beats St. Thomas (Texas) 114-92 Nov 17
- SFA tops SHSU to win Southland tourney again Mar 15
- Lumberjacks and Bearkats go for Southland championship Mar 14
- Syracuse dominates Western Michigan in NCAA opener Mar 20
- Broncos and Orange clash in South Region's second round Mar 20
- Western Michigan takes down Toledo to win MAC title Mar 16
- Stephen F. Austin drubs Sam Houston State for Southland title Mar 16
- MAC crown to be decided, as Rockets challenge Broncos Mar 15
- Bearkats battle Lumberjacks in Southland Tournament final Mar 15
- Missouri tops Western Michigan, extends home streak Dec 15
- Tigers hope to continue perfect run against visiting Broncos Dec 15