Niagara beats Fairfield 77-68Jan 5, 2010 - 3:12 AM NIAGARA, N.Y.(AP) -- Tyrone Lewis scored 22 points to lead Niagara to a 77-68 win over Fairfield on Monday night.
Lewis shot 11-for-12 from the free throw line for Niagara (10-6, 3-1 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference), while Rob Garrison added 19 points and five steals. Bilal Benn contributed with 15 points and 13 rebounds.
Niagara used a 13-4 run early in the second half to jump out to a 49-37 lead following a layup from Garrison with 15:50 remaining. That helped the Purple Eagles maintain the lead for the rest of the contest, as Fairfield would get no closer than six points.
Derek Needham scored 28 points for the Stags (10-4, 3-1) on 12-of-24 shooting. Yorel Hawkins chipped in with 11 points and nine rebounds.
Niagara was outrebounded 40-38, but was able to score 19 points off of Fairfield's 16 turnovers.
- NCAA BB
NIAGARA 77 FINAL
Jan 4 9:09 PM
- NCAA BB
NIAGARA 33 HALFTIME
Jan 4 7:56 PM
- Niagara edges Marist 69-66 Jan 28
- No. 4 Duke reaches triple digits in rout of Fairfield Nov 15
- No. 4 Duke gets right back to work against Fairfield Nov 15
- Harrell lifts Louisville over Fairfield Nov 23
- Hall of Fame Tip Off pits Cardinals against Stags Nov 23
- Niagara names Casey new men's hoops coach Apr 22
- Cooley, No. 22 Notre Dame cruise past Niagara Dec 22
- Notre Dame puts perfect home mark on line against Niagara Dec 21
- Loyola-Maryland captures first MAAC title since '94 Mar 6
- Stags and Greyhounds meet for MAAC Tournament title Mar 5
- Connecticut shakes off Fairfield Dec 22
- No.8 Huskies host Stags in Hartford Dec 22