Charleston Southern defeats Winthrop 57-54Jan 5, 2010 - 4:00 AM CHARLESTON, S.C.(AP) -- Kelvin Martin hit two free throws in the final seconds and Jeremy Sexton scored 19 points to push Charleston Southern past Winthrop 57-54 on Monday night.
The Buccaneers' win snapped a 17-game losing streak to the Eagles. Martin added 10 points and eight rebounds for the Buccaneers (7-7, 2-2 Big South Conference). Jamarco Warren, who had averaged 30.7 points in the past three games, was held to six points for the Buccaneers.
There were eight lead changes in the second half and Winthrop took its last lead at 54-53 after a 3-pointer by Reggie Middleton with 44 seconds to play.
Kenny Mitchell gave the Buccaneers' the lead 55-54 on a layup with 27 seconds to go. The Eagles missed two layups before fouling Martin with four seconds remaining. He hit both free throws for the final margin.
Robbie Dreher led the Eagles (5-9, 1-3) with 13 points, while Middleton added 11.
- NCAA BB
CHARLESTON SOU 57 FINAL
Jan 4 9:24 PM
- NCAA BB
CHARLESTON SOU 31 HALFTIME
Jan 4 8:21 PM
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Colorado State cruises past Charleston Southern Dec 23
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- Baylor holds off Charleston Southern Nov 21
- Plenty of points expected in bout between Bucs and Bears Nov 20
- Bairstow leads Lobos over Buccaneers Nov 17
- Bucs and Lobos mix it up at The Pit Nov 17