Alabama State defeats Grambling State 70-55Jan 5, 2010 - 5:22 AM GRAMBLING La.(AP) -- Byron Walker scored 20 points and Alabama State defeated Grambling State 70-55 in the Southwestern Conference opener for both teams on Monday night.
The Hornets (4-8) shot 42.9 percent (15 of 35) and held the Tigers to 33.3 percent (9 of 27) in the first half for a 33-19 lead.
Tied at 19-19 with 3:43 left until halftime, Alabama State finished the first half with 14 unanswered points. Tramaine Butler finished the run on a 3-pointer with 38 seconds left for the halftime score.
Alabama State opened the second half on a 14-4 run for a 47-23 lead on a layup by Christopher Duncan with 15:14 remaining.
Butler finished with 18 points and eight rebounds, and Robert Sanders added eight rebounds for the Hornets, who won the battle of the boards 41-28.
Donald Qualls scored 24 points and Lance Fuertado finished with 15 points and 10 rebounds for the Tigers.
- NCAA BB
ALABAMA ST 70
GRAMBLING 55 FINAL
Jan 4 10:48 PM
- NCAA BB
ALABAMA ST 33
GRAMBLING 19 HALFTIME
Jan 4 9:52 PM
- TCU thumps Grambling State Dec 23
- Washington routs Grambling State Dec 18
- Tigers face tall task in clash with 16th-ranked Huskies Dec 17
- Marquette beats Grambling State 114-71 Nov 13
- No. 17 Marquette entertains Grambling State Nov 12
- Florida stomps Alabama State Nov 11
- Gators officially open season against visiting Hornets Nov 11
- Price is right at Grambling May 8
- No. 21 Cincinnati routs Alabama State Nov 14
- 21st-ranked Bearcats open season against visiting Hornets Nov 13
- Johnson scores 29, leads UTSA to 1st NCAA tourney win Mar 16
- Alabama State wins SWAC title over Grambling Mar 13