Western Illinois defeats Savannah State, 55-51Jan 5, 2010 - 3:26 AM MACOMB, Ill.(AP) -- Ceola Clark scored 23 points and Western Illinois withstood Savannah State's comeback effort to win 55-51 Monday night.
Western Illinois (6-8) led by as many as 14 points in the first half and was ahead 29-19 at halftime. But Savannah State rallied behind Rashad Hassan and Arnold Louis and pulled even at 31, and eventually went ahead 39-37 on a Hassan jumper. But Western Illinois tied it again and went ahead for good 43-41 on a Clark basket.
Hassan led the Tigers (5-11) with a game-high 26 points and 12 rebounds. Louis had 12 points and 10 points for Savannah State.
David Nurse had 14 points and five rebounds for the Leathernecks. His free throws with 10 seconds to play were the game's final points.
- NCAA BB
SAVANNAH ST 51
WESTRN ILLINOIS 55 FINAL
Jan 4 9:55 PM
- NCAA BB
SAVANNAH ST 19
WESTRN ILLINOIS 29 HALFTIME
Jan 4 8:51 PM
- Hurricanes have easy time with Savannah State Dec 9
- Hurricanes hope to rebound in bout with visiting Tigers Dec 8
- Louisville destroys overmatched Savannah State Nov 24
- Cardinals expect to soar in clash with visiting Tigers Nov 24
- Baylor keeps home streak alive, routs Savannah State Jan 3
- Hapless Tigers tangle with surging Bears Jan 3
- Florida thumps Savannah State Dec 29
- Hapless Tigers hit road to challenge 13th-ranked Gators Dec 29
- Thomas leads No. 7 Buckeyes to rout of Savannah State Dec 12
- Savannah State faces tough task in clash with No. 7 Ohio State Dec 12
- No. 7 Florida gets by Savannah State as Boynton exits early Nov 20
- Savannah State challenges No. 7 Florida Nov 20