Northeastern beats VCU 62-57Jan 5, 2010 - 2:35 AM RICHMOND , Va.(AP) -- Manny Adako had a season-high 23 points, hitting 11 of 14 field goals, to lead Northeastern past Virginia Commonwealth 62-57 on Monday night.
The Huskies (7-7, 2-1 Colonial Athletic Association) won their fifth straight and are responsible for the only two Rams losses in their last 23 home games.
Adako had six points during an 11-0 spurt that spanned halftime and gave the Huskies a 48-40 lead with 10:12 left. The Rams (9-3, 1-2) cut the lead to one before Chaisson Allen's 3 gave the Huskies a 53-49 lead with 4:49 left. The Rams could get no closer than two, and Northeastern hit 5 of 9 free throws in the final 1:08.
Allen added 17 points for the Huskies, who were 14-for-27 from the floor in the second half.
Larry Sanders and Joey Rodriguez led Virginia Commonwealth with 12 points apiece.
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11
- Wade to begin VCU's post-Shaka era with modified 'Havoc' Nov 10
- Wade leaves Chattanooga to return to VCU Apr 7