Free throws help Mercer beat North Florida 84-79Jan 5, 2010 - 4:37 AM JACKSONVILLE, Fla.(AP) -- Senior Daniel Emerson scored a career-high 29 points and grabbed 15 rebounds to help Mercer beat North Florida 84-79 on Monday night.
James Florence added 26 points and E.J. Kusnyer had 11 on 3-for-7 shooting from 3-point range for the Bears (6-8, 2-2 Atlantic Sun), who won their second straight conference game.
The Bears made 32 of 37 free throw attempts and Emerson hit 15 of his 17 tries from the foul line. The Bears saw their 74-69 lead shrink to 76-75 before going 7-for-8 from the foul line in the final 31 seconds to preserve the win.
The loss snapped a five-game winning streak for North Florida (6-8, 1-3).
Brad Haugabrook led four other Osprey players in double figures with 19 points. Jerron Granberry added 15 points, Andy Diaz had 11, and Stan Januska and Germaine Sparks each had 10.
- Robert Morris rallies past North Florida in First Four Mar 18
- Colonials and Ospreys clash in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Tennessee cruises past Mercer to reach Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Mercer seeks another upset in clash with Tennessee Mar 23
- Mercer's late rally stuns Duke Mar 21
- Blue Devils and Bears meet in Midwest Regional battle Mar 21
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- No. 5 Michigan State cruises past North Florida Dec 17
- Weary Ospreys come calling on fifth-ranked Spartans Dec 17
- No. 7 Ohio State crushes North Florida Nov 29