W Kentucky beats Mississippi St 55-52Jan 5, 2010 - 4:39 AM BOWLING GREEN, Ky.(AP) -- Steffphon Pettigrew scored 17 points to propel Western Kentucky to a 55-52 win over Mississippi State on Monday night, ending the Bulldogs' nine-game winning streak.
After trailing since early in the second half, Jarvis Varnado's dunk pulled the Bulldogs within 53-52 with 51 seconds left. But he missed a go-ahead jumper with 5 seconds left, Anthony Sally grabbed the rebound and sank two free throws to seal it for the Hilltoppers.
Sally finished with 11 points for the Hilltoppers (8-4), and was a perfect 9-for-9 from the free throw line. Western Kentucky finished 12 of 16 from the stripe (75 percent).
The Bulldogs hit just 14 of 27 foul shots (51.9 percent).
Western Kentucky trailed by three at halftime, but opened the second on a decisive 13-4 run.
Varnado led the Bulldogs (12-3) with 17 points and Dee Bost added 13.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MISSISSIPPI STATE 26 26 52
WESTERN KENTUCKY 23 32 55 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: MISSISSIPPI STATE - JARVIS VARNADO 17, DEE BOST 13,
BARRY STEWART 9
WESTERN KENTUCKY - STEFFPHON PETTIGREW 17, ANTHONY SALLY
11, TWO PLAYERS WITH 8
Jan 4 11:05 PM
- NCAA BB
MISSISSIPPI ST 26
WKU 23 HALFTIME
Jan 4 9:47 PM
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- Mississippi St Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Mississippi State pins turnaround hopes on Newman, Howland Oct 29
- Howland named Mississippi State basketball coach Mar 23
- Mississippi State fires Ray after 3 seasons Mar 21
- UK routs Mississippi State to stay unbeaten Feb 25
- Top-ranked Wildcats continue run against Bulldogs Feb 25
- Arkansas holds on for 6th straight win Feb 21
- Bulldogs and Razorbacks meet in SEC showdown Feb 21