UC Santa Barbara edges UC Riverside 57-53Jan 5, 2010 - 6:18 AM RIVERSIDE, Calif.(AP) -- James Nunnally scored 19 points and Orlando Johnson added 17 as UC Santa Barbara rallied in the closing seconds to edge UC Riverside 57-53 Monday night.
Johnson scored five points in the final 22 seconds as the Gauchos (6-6, 1-1 Big West) rallied by scoring the game's final seven points.
After Rudy Meo hit a 3-pointer to put the Highlanders (7-7, 1-1) up 53-50 with 1:59 to play, James Nunnally hit a jumper to pull Santa Barbara to within one. Johnson then hit a 3 to give the Gauchos the lead and added two free throws with 10 seconds remaining.
Kyle Austin scored 20 to lead Riverside, and Meo had 15.
Santa Barbara scored only one point during the final 7:42 of the first half and went into halftime down 23-14. The Gauchos, though, opened the second half with 12-2 run and the score stayed close the rest of the way.
- Highlanders and Aztecs mix it up in non-conference action Dec 22
- No. 25 Utah hammers UC Riverside Nov 21
- Utes seek turnaround against visiting Highlanders Nov 21
- Kansas handles challenge from UCSB Nov 15
- No. 5 Kansas lifts lid on season against UC Santa Barbara Nov 14
- UCLA takes care of UC Santa Barbara Dec 4
- Gauchos and Bruins mix it up in Golden State fracas Dec 3
- San Diego State handles UC Santa Barbara Dec 7
- No. 17 Aztecs play host to Gauchos Dec 6
- Long Beach State downs UCSB for Big West title Mar 11
- Gauchos greet 49ers in Big West title game Mar 10
- Rebels down UCSB in double overtime Dec 1