Defense leads Dayton past Ball State 59-35Jan 6, 2010 - 3:24 AM By JEFF GILBERT Associated Press Writer
DAYTON, Ohio(AP) -- Chris Wright scored 10 points and Dayton had its best defensive game of the season in a 59-35 victory over Ball State on Tuesday night.
The Flyers (11-3) held the Cardinals (6-6) to 27.9 percent shooting (12 of 43) from the field - the lowest percentage by an opponent this season.
The Cardinals, who made only 1 of 10 3-point shots, had their worst shooting game of the season.
While it was the fewest points the Flyers allowed this season, it was also one of their lowest scoring outputs in a game marked by long possessions and few second shots.
Dayton shot 45.1 percent (23 of 51) from the field as it extended its homecourt winning streak to 28 games.
Ball State was led by Terrence Watson's eight points. Jarrod Jones entered the game averaging 15.1 points per game, but was held to just three points on 1-of-8 shooting.
- University of Dayton center Steve McElvene dies May 12
- Dayton gives coach Archie Miller an extra year on contract Mar 23
- Boeheim has Orange back in NCAA Tournament opposite Dayton Mar 17
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Dayton extends Archie Miller's contract through 2021-22 Mar 26
- Oklahoma advances to Sweet 16 with win over Dayton Mar 22
- Flyers and Sooners mix it up in third-round action Mar 22
- Pierre leads Dayton past Providence Mar 21
- Dayton and Providence meet in second round of NCAA Tourney Mar 20
- Dayton holds home court, beats Boise State to advance Mar 19
- Flyers and Broncos meet in first round of NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Graham leads VCU past Dayton for A-10 crown Mar 15