Notre Dame edges South Florida 74-73Jan 6, 2010 - 2:32 AM By FRED GOODALL AP Sports Writer
TAMPA, Fla.(AP) -- Luke Harangody made a free throw with 1.9 seconds left, capping a season-best 36-point performance, and giving Notre Dame a 74-73 victory over South Florida on Tuesday night.
The Fighting Irish (13-3, 2-1 Big East) squandered a 13-point second-half lead before Harangody's first basket in more than 10 minutes wiped out a 71-69 deficit and Tyrone Nash sank two free throws for a 73-71 lead.
Dominique Jones scored 26 for USF (10-4, 0-2) and Mike Mercer's tip-in in the final minute set the stage for a dramatic finish. Harangody was fouled by Mercer trying to muscle a potential game-winning shot between a double team.
The Notre Dame star made the first free throw, then missed the second to give USF one more chance to pull out a win. The Bulls called a timeout to set up a play, but were unable to successfully inbound the ball.
- NCAA BB
NOTRE DAME 74
SOUTH FLORIDA 73 FINAL
Jan 5 9:00 PM
- NCAA BB
NOTRE DAME 33
SOUTH FLORIDA 33 HALFTIME
Jan 5 7:43 PM
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17