Drexel holds off Virginia Commonwealth 75-72Jan 7, 2010 - 3:16 AM PHILADELPHIA(AP) -- Gerald Colds and Chris Fouch scored 19 points each as Drexel knocked off Virginia Commonwealth 75-72 on Wednesday night.
Colds hit a pair of free throws with 12 seconds left and Virginia Commonwealth's Joey Rodriguez missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer as the Dragons (8-8, 3-1 Colonial Athletic Association) defeated the defending conference champion.
Bradford Burgess scored 30 points for the Rams (9-4, 1-3), who have lost two straight games.
Virginia Commonwealth led early, but Drexel took a 42-36 halftime lead on Colds' free throw.
The Dragons didn't trail in the second half, and led by as many as nine points. The Rams used an 8-2 run to cut the lead to 73-71 and missed a chance to tie when Larry Sanders went 1-for-2 with 14 seconds left.
Jamie Harris scored 15 and Samme Givens had 14 for Drexel.
Sanders scored 15 and Brandon Rozzell added 10 for the Rams.
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Drexel hires Army's Zach Spiker as basketball coach. Mar 25
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- Drexel fires coach Bruiser Flint after 15 seasons Mar 7
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21
- Broken finger likely to sideline VCU's Burgess 'a few weeks' Jan 11