NC State beats Holy Cross 87-70Jan 7, 2010 - 2:05 AM By JOEDY McCREARY AP Sports Writer
RALEIGH, N.C.(AP) -- Dennis Horner scored 16 of his 18 points in the second half, and North Carolina State placed five scorers in double figures in an 87-70 victory against Holy Cross on Wednesday night.
Tracy Smith had 19 points and Julius Mays added a season-high 15 for the slow-starting Wolfpack (11-4). They bounced back from their last-second overtime loss to Florida three nights earlier, shaking off a sluggish start with a 16-2 run early in the second half and pulling away late.
Devin Brown scored 21 points to lead Holy Cross (3-12). The Crusaders hit nearly as many 3-pointers (10) as 2-pointers (11), but managed only one field goal during the opening 5 1/2 minutes of the second half, when this game was all but decided.
Farnold Degand had 12 points and Scott Wood added 10 for the Wolfpack, who had five crack double figures for just the second time this season.
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State Mar 24
- NC State junior Anthony 'Cat' Barber to remain in NBA draft Mar 22
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Gottfried, Wolfpack focused on returning to NCAAs next year Mar 15
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- NC State assistant Moxley moving to support role after year Mar 6
- NC State's Barber carries heavy load for struggling Wolfpack Mar 4
- Wolfpack's Henderson still working back from ankle injury Feb 5