Creighton hands Drake 6th straight loss 73-69Jan 7, 2010 - 3:45 AM OMAHA, Neb.(AP) -- Kenny Lawson Jr. and Justin Carter combined for 34 points Wednesday as Creighton held off struggling Drake 73-69.
Lawson scored 13 of his 17 points in the first half, and Carter had 11 of his 17 after the break as the Bluejays (7-8, 2-2 Missouri Valley) handed Drake its sixth straight loss.
Craig Stanley had 15 points and Josh Young added 14 for the Bulldogs (5-11, 0-4).
Creighton led by double digits for most of the second half until Drake put together a 12-4 run late in the game. Young's layup with 11 seconds remaining pulled the Bulldogs within 71-69.
An errant pass by Lawson against the press gave Drake two shots to tie the game in the closing seconds. However, Ryan Wedel missed a driving attempt after his steal and Young couldn't get his follow attempt to fall. Cavel Witter got the rebound and hit two foul shots at the other end for Creighton.
- NCAA BB
CREIGHTON 73 FINAL
Jan 6 10:17 PM
- NCAA BB
CREIGHTON 38 HALFTIME
Jan 6 8:57 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Drake hoping to turn corner in 2015-16 Oct 5
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12
- Arcidiacono, Villanova tops Creighton Mar 3
- Creighton seeks upset of No. 4 Villanova Mar 3
- Butler slips past Creighton Feb 17
- Bluejays and Bulldogs meet in Big East brawl Feb 16
- Northern Iowa easily handles Drake Feb 7