Furman holds off Elon 53-48Jan 8, 2010 - 2:10 AM ELON, N.C.(AP) -- Jordan Miller scored 11 points and Furman pulled away late to defeat Elon 53-48 on Thursday.
Furman (8-6, 2-1 Southern Conference) won its third consecutive game despite shooting 28 percent in the second half (7-for-25) and 34.6 percent (18-for-52) for the game.
Elon's Devan Carter hit a layup to tie the score at 47 with 3:51 left, but Furman outscored the Phoenix 6-1 the rest of the way.
Darryl Evans scored on a layup to give the Paladins a 49-47 lead and Bryson Barnes hit two free throws for a 51-47 advantage with 2:32 left.
Carter's free throw cut it to 51-48, but Amu Saaka closed the scoring with two free throws at the buzzer.
The teams went a combined 0-for-7 from the field in the final 3:21.
Barnes added 10 points for Furman.
Drew Spradlin scored 12, Carter had 11 and Chris Long scored 10 for Elon (3-11, 1-2), which has lost five straight games.
- Dancing again: Wofford clinches bid Mar 9
- Furman battles Wofford in SoCon championship game Mar 9
- Okafor's big night carries Duke over Elon Dec 15
- Duke gets back to work against Elon Dec 15
- No. 4 Duke handles Furman Nov 27
- Fourth-ranked Blue Devils take aim at Paladins Nov 26
- Winter storm postpones Elon at Furman Feb 12
- UMass continues winning ways, downs Elon Jan 18
- Minutemen meet Phoenix in non-league tussle Jan 18
- Duke routs Elon Dec 31
- Elon seeks upset of No. 7 Duke Dec 31
- Dinwiddie leads Colorado over Elon Dec 14