Monmouth tops Central Connecticut State 55-42Jan 8, 2010 - 2:33 AM WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J.(AP) -- Justin Sofman scored 14 points and Will Campbell added 13 as Monmouth (N.J.) defeated Central Connecticut State 55-42 on Thursday night.
The Hawks (6-9, 2-1 Northeast Conference) won their third straight while the Blue Devils Devils (4-9, 1-2) lost their third straight game and had their lowest point total of the season.
Monmouth outshot Central Connecticut State 44.8 percent (13-for-29) to 29.6 percent (8-for-27) in the first half for a 32-23 halftime lead, capped by Campbell's banked-in 3 from 10 feet outside the 3-point line at the buzzer.
The Hawks led by as many as 16 in the second half as Travis Taylor scored eight of his 10 points. He also had 10 rebounds.
The Blue Devils outrebounded Monmouth 43-31, but had a season-high 20 turnovers.
Markeys Deans led the Blue Devils with 10 points and seven rebounds and David Simmons had 12 boards.
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Monmouth basketball coach King Rice has new 5-year contract Feb 26
- Dickenman retires after 20 years at Central Connecticut Feb 19
- Born with broken ankle, Monmouth guard beating doubters Feb 18
- CCSU holds off late charge by Robert Morris to win, 75-70 Feb 4
- Robert Morris uses late first-half run, beats CCSU 59-45 Jan 21
- GIF away, Monmouth! NCAA not stopping bench celebrations Dec 9
- Surprising Monmouth basketball winning and having fun Dec 3
- Carter, Robinson carry BC past Central Conn. 82-57 Nov 19
- Ross leads No. 5 Buckeyes over CCSU Dec 7
- Blue Devils face tall task in clash with fifth-ranked Buckeyes Dec 7
- Boeheim matches Knight as Syracuse rolls Dec 31