Williams, South Dakota State defeat UMKC 74-69Jan 8, 2010 - 3:46 AM KANSAS CITY, Mo.(AP) -- Kai Williams had game highs of 19 points and eight rebounds to lead South Dakota State past UMKC 74-69 on Thursday night.
Clint Sargent scored 18 points and Nate Wolters 12 for the Jackrabbits (8-8, 4-1 Summit League). Williams and Sargent combined to go 15 of 23 from the field.
After starting the season 2-5, the Jackrabbits have won six of their last nine and are in second place in the Summit.
Trey McKinney-Jones scored 18 points to lead the Kangaroos (8-7, 2-2). Bakari Lewis added 15, Jay Couisnard 14 and LaTreze Mushatt 12.
Leading 54-53, Williams and Wolters combined for all eight points in an 8-2 run that put the Jackrabbits ahead 62-55 with 4:48 to go.
The Kangaroos closed within 70-67 on McKinney-Jones' free throw, but Sargent then sank four straight free throws to ice it.
South Dakota State led 28-26 at halftime.
- South Dakota St hires Otzelberger as men's basketball coach Apr 14
- Jackrabbits seek 1st NCAA Tournament win Mar 17
- South Dakota State men win Summit championship, 67-59 Mar 9
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- S. Dakota St. rallies to beat ORU in Summit League tourney Mar 6
- South Dakota State beats D-II Wayne State 80-53 Dec 2
- Bittle scores 23, South Dakota St. beats Chadron St., 87-52 Nov 14
- Bison edge Jackrabbits in Summit final thriller Mar 10
- Bison battle Jackrabbits in Summit League finale Mar 10
- No. 23 Northern Iowa tops South Dakota St. Dec 28
- Jackrabbits come calling on 23rd-ranked Panthers Dec 28
- No. 14 Utah tops South Dakota State Dec 24