Saunders leads Belmont past S.C.-Upstate 68-58Jan 8, 2010 - 1:23 AM NASHVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Scott Saunders scored a career-high 19 points as Belmont defeated South Carolina-Upstate 68-58 on Thursday.
Ian Clark added 13 points for the Bruins (9-6, 4-1 Atlantic Sun Conference), who have won two straight after a four-game skid. Mick Hedgepeth had his fourth career double-double and second of the season with 12 points and 12 rebounds.
Belmont led 13-2 and was still ahead 26-13 with 7:50 left. The Spartans (1-13, 1-4) closed out the half on a 16-7 run to trail 33-29 at halftime.
S.C.-Upstate cut the lead to two points twice in the second half on baskets by Mezie Uzochukwu, who finished with 13 points and 10 rebounds. With Belmont ahead 39-37 with 15:24 left, the Bruins used a 10-0 run to push the lead into double figures until the Spartans cut it to eight with 15 seconds left
Belmont outshot S.C.-Upstate 45.3 percent (24-for-53) to 37.7 percent (23-for-61).
- Virginia staves off upset bid from Belmont Mar 20
- Belmont battles Virginia in East Regional melee Mar 20
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Belmont shocks Murray State to win OVC crown Mar 7
- Racers and Bruins battle for OVC crown Mar 7
- Strong second half lifts Maryland over USC Upstate Dec 13
- 19th-ranked Terps tangle with Spartans Dec 13
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8
- Randle helps Kentucky fend off Belmont Dec 21
- Wildcats set sights on Bruins Dec 21
- Belmont shocks No. 12 North Carolina Nov 17