North Florida beats Florida Gulf Coast 62-56Jan 9, 2010 - 3:35 AM FORT MYERS, Fla.(AP) -- Brad Haugabrook scored 14 points as North Florida held off Florida Gulf Coast 62-56 on Friday night.
The Ospreys (7-8, 2-3 Atlantic Sun Conference), coming off an 84-79 loss to Mercer on Monday which snapped their five-game winning streak, led 31-23 at halftime.
The Eagles (5-9, 2-3) pulled within a point on three occasions in the second half from 9:29 to 7:33, but could get no closer. Trailing 55-53 with 4:22 left, they scored only three points the rest of the way. The Ospreys scored five straight points, including two baskets by Haugabrook, to build a seven-point cushion with 2:11 left.
North Florida was 8-for-21 from 3-point range while Florida Gulf Coast was 0-for-10 from long range.
Jerron Granberry and Stan Januska scored 12 points each for the Ospreys.
Reed Baker led the Eagles with 15 points on 7-for-10 shooting and Anthony Banks added 14 points.
- FGCU hoops coach Dooley gets 2-year extension through 2020 May 7
- Tar Heels aim to stay on defensive vs. Eagles in NCAAs Mar 16
- Robert Morris rallies past North Florida in First Four Mar 18
- Colonials and Ospreys clash in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Mercer takes out Florida Gulf Coast for Atlantic Sun crown Mar 9
- Eagles and Bears meet in A-Sun title game Mar 9
- No. 5 Michigan State cruises past North Florida Dec 17
- Weary Ospreys come calling on fifth-ranked Spartans Dec 17
- No. 7 Ohio State crushes North Florida Nov 29
- Ospreys challenge undefeated Buckeyes Nov 29
- No. 10 Gators fend off North Florida in opener Nov 9