Montana State tops Portland State 77-71Jan 9, 2010 - 4:17 AM BOZEMAN, Mont.(AP) -- Bobby Howard's 18 points led five Montana State players in double figures as the Bobcats defeated Portland State 77-71 Friday night.
Montana State (9-6, 4-1) led by as many as 14 points in the first half and 11 in the second before Portland State (7-8, 2-1) rallied for a 59-59 tie with 7:17 to play.
Trailing 73-71, the Vikings had two chances to take the lead in the final 1:25, but Phil Nelson missed a 3-pointer with 1:15 to go and Dominic Waters committed a turnover with 20.8 seconds remaining.
Erik Rush and Will Bynum each hit two free throws in the final 20 seconds to seal the victory for MSU, which leads the conference.
Rush had 15 points, Bynum and Marquis Navarre 12 each and Branden Johnson 10 for the Bobcats.
Waters had a game-high 24 points, Melvin Jones added 14, Nelson 13 and Jamie Jones had 10 points and 10 rebounds for the Vikings.
- NCAA BB
PORTLAND ST 71
MONTANA ST 77 FINAL
Jan 8 10:54 PM
- NCAA BB
PORTLAND ST 34
MONTANA ST 43 HALFTIME
Jan 8 9:52 PM
- Kentucky crushes Montana St. Nov 23
- Top-ranked Kentucky continues run against Montana State Nov 23
- Oklahoma State handles Portland State Nov 25
- Vikings hope to navigate past 20th-ranked Cowboys Nov 25
- Weber State holds off Portland State 69-60 Mar 9
- Portland St. 68, Montana St. 65 Mar 7
- Portland State slips past Montana State 68-65 Mar 7
- Garcia leads Seattle past Portland State 93-80 Mar 4
- Waters, Portland State upend Weber State 84-79 Feb 28
- Montana St. 73, Montana 67 Feb 28
- Waters leads Portland State past Idaho State 98-63 Feb 27
- San Jose St. 77, Montana St. 66 Feb 20